La Vie En Rose

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dimanche, jour de repos

Written 8/27/2006 10:23 PM

Today was a good day. I was with Sarah and the French family and consequently spoke very little English, since Sarah is vigilant about using her French and the family…well obviously.

I woke just in time to prepare lunch, at which we had three guests: Hubert, Clement, et Clemence. They were very nice, and I got plenty of practice listening to fast French conversation. I’m learning slowly, but it’s nice to know that I am learning.

After lunch the oldest boys, Antoine and Mattieu, left with their friends to stay the night at their house, about 50 km away. They will return tomorrow night. We saw them off, and then walked down to an antique market along the Blvd. It was very cute, but I was mainly struck by all the American music that was in the record collections. French music certainly hasn’t infiltrated American culture in the same way.

We returned home for dinner, during which Marie, the oldest child at 23 years, returned from her Catholic festival with stories for us. I can’t say I understood all of what was happening, but I did try.

After dinner, Sarah and I went for a walk in the park near our house. In our walking, we found four gents who were relaxing on the lawn, and we struck up conversation. Correction: I struck up conversation with four complete strangers (this shouldn’t surprise many of you) in a completely American fashion and horrified and embarrassed Sarah a lot. A lot a lot. Ah well, she’ll get over it. The result is that next Sunday night, if we choose, we may meet them in the same part to learn the national game of France, le Pitanque (sp?). I hope Sarah’s game because I’d love to learn it, but I wouldn’t go alone (yes, I do have just a bit of common sense!).

Tomorrow we must be up and off early to sign up for our cultural workshops the moment the lists go up! We’ll have language classes tomorrow morning and …I forget what tomorrow afternoon, but somewhere in the middle I’ll find my way to the internet café and finally post these! What a joyous thought!

Until tomorrow then!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home